MetaVR Terrain Tools for Esri® ArcGIS® version 1.6 contains the following new features and enhancements:
- Ability to recompile an existing 3D terrain's cultural features (such as models, instances, lights, and fences) without having to recompile the terrain and textures.
- New feature type for compiling extruded building features using an Esri CityEngine rule package (.rpk) to enable adding large areas of dense culture to 3D terrain quickly and easily. Many MetaVR customers already use CityEngine for generating large urban models for use on their 3D terrain datasets. This feature simplifies the workflow.
- Colorization of tree models and other vegetation by automatic color matching of the models with underlying geospecific imagery. The result yields increased realism and suspension of disbelief to flight simulations.
- The surface depth along a coastline is now computed as a function of the distance to the coastline. Bathymetry source data is no longer required to generate a bathymetry surface.
- Unique compiled-in models in MetaVR’s .hpx model format are no longer compiled as instanced geometry.
- Full support of all node types in MetaVR’s .hpx model format, such as external references and multi-texture geometry type.
- Powerline and light lobe support for compiled-in instances via positioning attributes specified in a JSON file.
- New tool to create a raster image from compiled terrain for cases where a heightmap is needed. Such cases include using the raster as input to CityEngine.
- Improvement for rendering the transition between levels of detail (LODs). This new technique smooths LOD transitions while reducing the triangle count by over 20%.
- Performance enhancements for large areas of instanced trees via LOD probability weights specified in a JSON file and support of the LOD_Scale feature attribute.
- Performance and navigation improvements to the Build Manager interface.
- Runway creation improvements to better support fitting multiple geometry layers within a runway model to the curvature of the earth and terrain profile.
Terrain Tools version 1.6 supports all the advancements in the latest ArcGIS for Desktop version 10.8.
MetaVR’s Terrain Tools and Virtual Reality Scene Generator (VRSG) real-time textured and wireframe 3D views of the virtual Albacete Air Base, Spain. Also shown is the air base’s control tower model in MetaVR’s Model Viewer.
Using Terrain Tools version 1.6, MetaVR recently built a new high-resolution 3D terrain dataset of Spain, which is available to customers with active software maintenance. This geospecific round-earth terrain was built with 0.50 mpp resolution source imagery and SRTM1 (30m) elevation source data covering the entire country, and bathymetry data of the northern/western Spain coastline. This new terrain includes areas of high-resolution insets of Lugo province in the Galicia region of northwest Spain and Los Llanos Albacete Air Base (LEAB) in Albacete province in central Spain.
How to obtain Terrain Tools
Current MetaVR Terrain Tools customers on active maintenance can obtain the latest release of Terrain Tools version 1.6 by downloading the software from their account on MetaVR's Download Server. Terrain Tools version 1.6 is also delivered on a USB hard drive. Contact MetaVR for further information.
Note: Terrain built with the latest features of Terrain Tools version 1.6 requires the latest release of VRSG 6.4. Customers with a VRSG license and valid software maintenance can also obtain the latest release of VRSG on MetaVR's Download Server.