At MetaVR's DJFT Observer station looking through the Varjo XR-3 headset at the VRSG scene displayed in the emulated SOFLAM. In this mixed-reality environment, one can interact with both the equipment and the virtual world.
MetaVR DJFT Observer station with a VRSG real-time scenario on virtual Afghanistan, as seen by the JTAC from within the mixed-reality Varjo XR-3 headset.
MetaVR has introduced a new portable joint fires training solution called the Deployable Joint Fires Trainer (DJFT). This system is designed to provide a quick deploy capability for Joint Terminal Attack Controllers (JTAC) and Forward Observers (FO) to train alongside fixed- and rotary-wing aircrew within a fully immersive, joint training environment. The DJFT is designed to meet the US Joint Fires Support Executive Steering Committee (JFS ESC) Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) accreditation for types 1, 2, 3, day, night, and laser controls, and digitally aided close air support (DACAS).*
The modular plug-and-play system, designed by a former JTAC/FO, is comprised of three or more stations fully contained within two-person portable ruggedized cases. The DJFT contains all the hardware required to run dynamic, full-spectrum JTAC/Joint Fires training scenarios, including laptop, GPS receiver, and communication systems. Scenarios are run on Battlespace Simulations’ Modern Air Combat Environment (MACE) and MetaVR’s VRSG.
MetaVR unveiled the DJFT at I/ITSEC 2019. Click here to read about it on page 22 of the I/ITSEC'19 ShowDaily.
BSI's emulated SOFLAM, with MetaVR VRSG rendering the scene. This component is part of the DJFT Observer station.
BSI's emulated AN/PRC-152 radio and emulated advanced GPS receiver; both part of the DJFT Observer station.
- Notional emulated equipment:
- Mil-reticule binoculars
- Laser target designators (LTD)
- PRC-117G or PRC-152 radio
- Emulated Advanced GPS Receiver (C-EAGR)
- DACAS on a device running the government-off-the shelf Android Team Awareness Kit (ATAK), with VRSG running in the ATAK's ISR video downlink; alternative DACAS configuration provided upon request
- Form-fit-function emulated equipment:
- PEQ-1B SOFLAM LTD
- IZLID 1000P
- Dedicated to controlling any and all fixed- and rotary-wing assets.
- Communicate with all players as aircrew via simulated radios.
- Control assets manually with controls, or by using 9 lines and 5 lines.
- Control targeting pod, enabling video downlink for student to conduct sensor pod talk-ons.
- Provides full dynamic control of the scenario.
- Has controls for UAS pod or another role player.
- Create or change scenarios.
- Communicate to all players via simulated radios.
- Control surface-to-surface fires, fixed- and rotary-wing assets.
- Record current scenario to play back for after-action review (AAR).
- Core networking and 3D terrain server station.
- Mounted and cased in two-person portable rugged transport cases.
- Train anywhere: from a classroom or barracks, to a forward operating base or hotel room at short notice.
- Three stations allow full spectrum JTAC/joint fires training.
- Add or remove stations to customize training (as shown in the two-station configuration below).
- Training scenarios can also be projected onto large screens in a domed configuration.
- Windows 10-based game-level notebook systems; can be connected to 120 - 240 volt power outlet.
- Stations are networked via 10-Gigabit Ethernet switches.
- Support for international configurations.
- External transportable battery or generator can be quoted separately.
- When assembled with included legs, an open station is 36” high, the height of a traditional desktop.
- Built using proven simulation software currently in use in the USAF-accredited Joint Terminal Control Training Rehearsal System (JTC TRS) and Air National Guard Advanced Joint Terminal Attack Controller Training System (AAJTS). Simulation software is comprised of MetaVR's VRSG, and Battlespace Simulations' MACE and Vipers DIS radio.
- Designed to meet the JFS ESC MOA accreditation for types 1, 2, 3, day, night, and laser controls, and DACAS.*
- Mixed-reality HMD system. HMD can be changed on request.
- Provides 360 x 360 FOV displays, enabling a fully immersive training environment to conduct Type 1 controls.*
- USMC PLDR LTD
- IZLID Ultra
- Vector 21 laser range finder (LRF) binoculars
- PLRF 25C LRF
- Additional configurations upon request
- Delivered with Instructor, Aircrew, and Observer stations with all software licenses on pallets; purchase includes two days of onsite training.
- Shipping to, and training for, locations outside the continental US provided upon request.
To order the DJFT, see the price list and request for quote form.
Top: Digital Aided Close Air Support (DACAS) suite running the government-off-the shelf Android Team Awareness Kit (ATAK) with VRSG running in the ATAK's embedded ISR video downlink. Bottom: BSI's emulated AN/PRC-152 radio and emulated advanced GPS receiver.
The DJFT JTAC/Observer station at I/ITSEC 2019. The JTAC is wearing an HTC Vive Pro running VRSG, augmented with Collins Aerospace’s Coalescence mixed-reality system. Notice the JTAC can read and take notes while wearing the HMD.
Click here for a PDF datasheet with the latest DJFT specs and pricing.
* The DJFT is a MetaVR internally developed R&D system, not funded by a government program. A customer would need to seek formal accreditation for the system.