What's New in Terrain Tools Version 1.4
MetaVR Terrain Tools for Esri ArcGIS version 1.4 contains the following new
features and enhancements:
- Support for compiling terrain in a native 64-bit executable.
- Support for building underwater geometry (bathymetry) to increase the terrain fidelity of the ocean floor for use in littoral scenarios with VRSG's 3D ocean sea states.
- Forest tool, which provides a quick and efficient way to distribute thousands of randomized and scaled tree points within a polygon.
- Blending of adjacent microtexture features.
- Faster feature processing, including large complex linear networks.
- Smooth transition between cut-in features and the terrain.
- New sample source data (of Baltimore, MD) for the sample project used in the tutorial in the MetaVR Terrain Tools for Esri ArcGIS User's Guide.
VRSG real-time 3D view of the shoreline of the jetty on the port of Kismayo, Somalia, featuring VRSG's 3D ocean simulation. This scene is part of
the Kismayo virtual terrain, built using Terrain Tools version 1.4 with bathymetry support.
All the advancements in the latest ArcGIS for Desktop version 10.5 are supported in Terrain Tools.
VRSG real-time rendering of the vegetation and blended adjacent microtextures used for the modeled Combat Town 25 MOUT site on MetaVR's Camp Pendleton virtual terrain. See detail below.
Example of use of the Forest tool to create dense tree coverage.
Example of blended adjacent microtextures.
MetaVR Terrain Tools' previous release, version 1.3, introduced four new terrain feature types:
- Microtexture polygon feature type, for adding geotypical ground textures.
- Building polygon feature type, for quickly creating simple geotypical buildings and other structures by extruding them from imagery footprints and specifying their textures.
- Cultural light polyline feature type, for placing light points along the polyline with attributes for color, size, and spacing.
- Wall polyline feature type, for adding textured 2D extruded geometry features to the terrain, such as wall and fences.
Version 1.3 also introduced a new capability for generating instanced cultural features for creating a large homogenous area of culture (trees, vegetation, rocks, and so on) which is optimized for VRSG, a new capability for generating wire geometry for power lines that connect to utility pole models, and a new terrain feature definition user interface that eliminates the need to edit the feature definition table directly to manually add new columns for attributes of each terrain feature type.
Current MetaVR Terrain Tools customers on active maintenance can obtain the latest release of Terrain Tools (version 1.4) by downloading the version 1.4 software from their account on MetaVR's Download Server. Contact MetaVR for further information.
MetaVR is a member of the Esri Partner Network.
You can order the MetaVR Terrain Tools for ArcGIS directly from MetaVR.